Volunteers In Education (VIE)
|Welcome to Franklin and Montessori at Franklin!
Rochester Public Schools encourages parents/guardians, grandparents, and community members to share their time, talents and knowledge with our students. Volunteers in our schools enrich the educational programs and strengthen our school relationships with families, businesses, and the community as a whole. The education of our students takes a community effort. To become a volunteer, please submit an interest form electronically or fill out a hard copy to turn in at the Franklin school office.
What is Volunteers in Education?
The Volunteers in Education (ViE) program was created in 1977 and serves to enrich education in the Rochester Public Schools by making the time, talents, and expertise of parents/guardians, community members, and community businesses available to students and staff.
Volunteers have played, and will continue to play, an important and valuable role in education. Our students, teachers, administrators, parents and the Rochester community reap the benefits from the volunteer efforts of people who share their talents and resources.
As a volunteer, you will receive many rewards. You will find yourself filling the needs of students in a role that utilizes your time, talents and interests in immeasurable ways. Voluntary assistance in the education of students of all ages offers ways for you to contribute to your community while, at the same time, experience a deep sense of personal accomplishment.
|Here are current needs at Franklin/Montessori at Franklin (updated Jan 2015):
1. Reading with Franklin Kindergarten students: mornings from 9:15-9:30am.
2. After School Academy helpers: after school anytime between 3:30-5:30pm, January through March, 2015.
3. Franklin classroom reading and math helpers: any school day and time that is convenient for volunteers.
4. Lunchroom/Recess helpers: school days between 11:45am and 1:15pm.
5. Parents who wish to volunteer in their child(ren)'s classroom or serve as a field trip chaperone: Please contact the teacher directly first, and then the school ViE Coordinator if further assistance is required.
6. ViE Coordinators for the 2015-2016 School Year: We're looking for two volunteers to become Franklin/Montessori at Franklin ViE Coordinators for next year. The time commitment is roughly one to two hours per month.
To find out more or to volunteer for any of these opportunities, please contact Amy Nelson
Volunteer Procedure at Franklin/Montessori at Franklin:
1. Always check in at the school office before heading to the classroom. There is a ViE check-in table. Please sign in (and out) on the clipboard at the table since the district does track volunteer hours.
2. Always wear a visitor badge when you are in the school building.
3. If you do any volunteer work for the school at home (cutting and pasting, etc.), please either email one of the coordinators how much time you spent or mark it in the volunteer sign-in book at school.
Ben Franklin ViE Coordinator